Fashion is one of the unique ways to reflect and challenge various cultural and societal changes. The drop waist dress is a style that embodies rebellion and freedom. During the Roaring Twenties, there were numerous fashion trends as people were keen to do away with traditional styles. One of the most iconic 1920 trends we can explore is the drop waist dress. For most women at the time, the drop waist dress was a symbol of freedom and comfort. In this post, we will explore what makes the drop waist dress a timeless trend enduring decades.
Design Elements of the Drop Waist Dress
For women of the 1920s era, forsaking restrictive fashion styles (a staple of the Victorian era) was a flex. The drop waist dress traded the need for a corset for a silhouette that accentuates a straight and boyish figure. Below are some of the features of the drop waist dress.
- Straight Silhouette:The drop waist dress had a shape that was perfect for women who needed to move freely. Unlike most dresses from the previous era, there was no need for a corset. Hence, its straight silhouette that cuts from the shoulders to the hem makes it easy for women to move. It was a dress fit for expressing oneself during a Jazz social event.
- Low Waistline:One of the quickest ways to identify this vintage fashion trendy dress is its low waistline. The dress typically hangs just below or around the hips. This design helped make the dress a perfect outfit for any casual setting, unlike the old high-waisted dresses.
- Flattering:The drop waist dress is known for its versatility, as it is flattering for women of all body types. Its departure from focusing on the waist made the dress a comfortable style for women craving more freedom and ease of movement.
1920s Fashion Tips for Wearing the Drop Waist Dress
There are numerous ways to compliment the drop waist dress, and below are some tips on how to get started.
- Embroidery and Beading:Never fail to add a bit texture to the drop waist dress. It is a typical flapper-style thing to embellish dresses with beads, sequins, intricate embroidery, and much more.
- Be Chic: For a casual outing or date, you can pair the drop waist dress with a wide-brim hat, and ankle boots. Dressing this way is perfect for daytime events.
- Be Glamorous: Perhaps, you want to transition from a casual look to a more formal style with the drop waist dress. All you need to do is to slap on some statement jewelry and strappy heels. In so doing, you start to exude classic elegance without sacrificing freedom.
- Pick Lightweight Fabrics: When choosing or designing a drop waist dress, choose fabrics that complement the free-natured style of the dress. For example, materials like silk, jersey, and chiffon are great picks. They enhance the dress and still maintain fluidity.
The drop waist dress stands out as a unique 1920s fashion statement dress. Its timeless elegance, fluidity, and chic, make it a must-have for fashion lovers in this modern age. It is simple and glamorous.